CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, August 25, 2012

R.I.P. Nala Jean 6/30/96-8/25/12

This morning we unexpectedly said goodbye to Nala. It has been a heart-wrenching few hours and definitely an emotional roller coaster. I noticed yesterday that she was behaving odd, acting very lethargic and not as responsive as normal. I told the kids and Jeff that I was worried and thought this was going to be "it" and she wasn't going to hang on much longer. Jeff left the house this morning around 5am and she was perfectly fine, going out to go potty, etc. Around 6:45 the kids came into our room and woke me up to tell me that she has messed all over the house and was laying in it and couldn't stand up. I bolted out of bed and found her, head on the dining room carpet, spread out with all four of her legs flailing like a fish. She was panting hard and seemed to be out of it. I knew in that moment that this was the day we would be saying goodbye. I called my parents to come collect the kids so they didn't have to witness anymore heartache. They said their goodbyes and went to be with my Mom. My Dad returned and helped load her up in the car and we took her to the vet. The tech confirmed that although her vitals were ok, she had suffered a stroke....all too familiar to the one she had back in December, 2010, but this time, she couldn't regain control of her body and support her weight. I called Jeff and we made the decision together to have her put down as the quality of her life would never be the same and we couldn't, and didn't want to submit ourselves and the kids to such traumatizing circumstances anymore. I went in the back, held her head in my hands and said my goodbyes. With the passing of Nala, I am officially closing a chapter in my life, as I have had her since before meeting Jeff and she has been there right along with me through the roller coaster ride of my college years.

Nala's 15th Birthday
Saying Goodbye

0 comments: